Teamcenter offers 3 types of LOV and based on the use case, choose the LOV type. Unlike Classic and Dynamic LOVs, Batch LOVs are managed externally. To update or remove values from Classic or Dynamic LOV, we need to update LOV via BMIDE and deploy the changes as templates using tem.bat. Where as in Batch LOV, the updates happen using utility and does not require system downtime.
Initially Batch LOV should be created in BMIDE and added to the respective property or properties. Once you deploy the batch lov to the database via tem, you can subsequently add values to the LOV using xml and load it into Teamcenter using bmide_manage_batch_lovs utility.
To update existing Batch LOVs, you can extract the existing LOV values through the same utility in XML format, update the xml files and load it back using same utility.
Creating new Batch LOV
1. In BMIDE, open Extensions\LOV Folder. Right click Batch LOV folder and choose New Batch LOV.
2. Click Finish
3. Add the Batch LOV to the property and deploy the template into Teamcenter using tem.bat
Adding Values for Batch LOV
1. In Project Files Folder, Open the \Samples\LOVs folder to see the Sample LOV files.
2. To define your list values, edit the files created.
- Modify the sample file by replacing the commented code with your values.
- Modify the localization file in the lang folder by replacing the commented code with your values.
3. Use bmide_manage_batch_lovs to load the values of batch lov into Teamcenter database.
bmide_manage_batch_lovs -u=<username> -p=<password> -g=<group> -option=update -file=<BMIDE Project Folder>\output\wntx64\Samples\LOVS\L4_DemoBatchLOV\L4_DemoBatchLOV.xml>
Edit Deployed Batch LOV
To extract batch LOVs from the database, run the bmide_manage_batch_lovs utility. bmide_manage_batch_lovs -u=<username> -p=<password> -g=<group> -option=extract -file=<File_Path_till_XML_name>
In the extracted LOV XML file, edit the list values.
To update the externally managed LOVs in the database, run the bmide_manage_batch_lovs utility.
After updating externally managed LOVs, to update the LOV cache stored on the server, run the generate_client_meta_cache utility with the generate lovs command.
Convert Classic LOV to Batch LOV
Values for classic LOVs are stored in a template, which can be deployed to a server when the list changes. But you can also externally manage LOV values in batch LOVs and use the bmide_manage_batch_lovs utility to update the batch LOVs in the database. 1. Open the classic LOV and convert into batch lov by selecting the below option
2. Click Ok, Classic LOV will be converted to Batch LOV and moved to batch LOVs folder.
3. Project Folder contains the newly generated batch lov xmls for converted lov.
4. Save data model and deploy the package via tem.bat. This deletes all the LOV values, localizations, and sub-LOV attachments in the database for the LOVs that were converted.
5. Run the bmide_manage_batch_lovs utility to update the values in the XML files to the database.
6. Now that the LOV values are stored in the database, you can manage the values though the bmide_manage_batch_lovs utility.
Note: the batch LOV can also be converted into Classic LOV by selecting Enter Values using BMIDE and store values in my template option.